Lumberjanes - Stevenson, Ellis, Watters and Allen

09:06 Unknown 0 Comments


I read “Nimona” by Noelle Stevenson was the first real graphic novel I’d ever really read in full. On searching for a copy of my own, as I’d borrowed mine from a friend, I came across this one. Lumberjanes follows the five girls from roanoke cabin at Miss Quinella Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpet’s Camp for Hardcore Lady Types. Let us just stop for a second and admire this wonderful setting name. It’s probably one of the funniest I’ve ever come across in a novel of any kind and I am thoroughly impressed. I knew that this was going to be imaginative and creative from that moment on. 

So we follow the girls; Jo, April, Mal, Molly and Ripley at this summer camp. However not is all that it seems when they encounter three eyed foxes, a secret cave and a very intriguing anagram. However this will not be standing in the way of their incredible summer spent together. All of the girls have a talent that they can bring to the group and all are valuable members of the team. They’re even awarded badges which correspond to their actions. They work together in harmony in order to battle their way through their problems, showing that togetherness is important. The narrative is split up by pages from the Lumberjanes manual which I think is incredibly funny, showing the actions a lumberjane must perform to receive a badge, which often corresponds with the actions in the chapter. 

The art in this novel is very reminiscent of the art style in Nimona. All of the characters are very different in appearance which therefore makes the story easy to follow and remembering the characters is very easy. The colours are vibrant which makes it very enjoyable to read and I loved that each and every pane is jam packed full of colour and action. It’s all just very appealing to the eye. I’ll definitely be picking up volume two soon, and hopefully I can convince some friends of mine to cosplay with me at some point. I desperately want to do a cosplay of April. She’s definitely my favourite character of the bunch - red hair with a white bow, purple jacket and pink shorts. Super cute and girly with a kick ass attitude. 

Overall a very quick and enjoyable read. Will definitely be picking up the next volume to continue on this story, and find out what on earth is going on. 

Total pages - 127
Total read time - 30/45 minutes
Rating /10 - 7.5

Recommend - Yes

0 comments :