Don't Let Bad Situations Ruin Your Good Time

08:30 Unknown 0 Comments

I finally got my university confirmation early last week and I absolutely cannot wait to start my course. Really that was the reason for starting this whole blog off. I wanted to be better read before going into my Creative Writing and Media course so I could talk about my favourite genres widely with a good knowledge of other works. It’s become more challenging at the moment with the fact that I’m into my classics, about half way through Pride and Prejudice and I’m pushing through still. But I endeavour to finish as many as I can before my move in date at uni. I also decided that now was probably a good time to get back into the writing game, and actually enjoy writing something for me and getting over that hurdle in my brain that says I’m not sure it’s going to work. 

I wasn’t sure about what I was going to start writing, but then I had my first “good” idea. I wanted to write something that would be a little edgy and a little humorous in places. Then I got asked questions. Some sensible ones. Others sensible. But the conversation ended in “Well if you take that to Uni they’ll ask 'what the hell is that?’” It threw me off. Really. But I’ve decided that that’s just someone’s opinion and I don’t have to conform to everyone’s idea of a good book or piece of poetry. I mean if you look at the list of banned books; it’s huge! People have always had their own ideas of what is good and what is bad. Even when it comes down to storylines on tv shows or lyrics in songs. 

What I’m trying to say, I suppose, is that someone’s opinion shouldn’t define what you choose to do. There’s no rule book saying what is the right or wrong way to write a book, how to dress, sing, dance etc. If you feel comfortable doing something one way but not another, there’s no point trying to conform. Sometimes it just stunts your own growth as a human being. We need to develop to be our own people and enjoy different things or the world will be very boring.

Be you and be happy
Kelly

PS…. Still going to write my novel ;) 

0 comments :